Currently teaching percussion and directing the percussion ensemble at Toronto’s Crescent School, Stewart Hoffman is also a former junior high school and high school music teacher, Juilliard graduate and active freelance percussionist dedicated to advancing the level of percussion teaching and performance (see full biography).
“Hands-on” Workshops or Lecture Demonstrations for Junior High and High School Band Directors
Groups of four to ten educators will gain valuable insights and confidence participating in this hands-on workshop. Stewart discusses and demonstrates percussion techniques, then circulates and coaches participants as they try them out for themselves. Questions on evaluation and organization may also be addressed.
Some of the topics available for discussion, presentation and practise are:
- Approaching the Snare Drum: Holding the sticks, Dropping (vs. Hammering), and the Relaxed Stroke
- The Rudiments: Lifts and Levels at the Snare Drum
- The Buzz Roll
- Feeling Jazz: Swing, Fills, and Stage Band Drumming
- Sight Reading on Xylophone and Bells
- Timpani Basics
- Bass Drum and Cymbal Techniques
- Choosing Percussionists for your Band/Orchestral Program
- Evaluating Percussion Performance
- Organizing your Percussion Section
Larger groups may be more suited to a lecture-demonstration and discussion. In this format, Stewart discusses and demonstrates any or all of the topics listed above, as well as his own philosophy of teaching percussion in a junior high or high school setting. The workshop wraps up with a question and answer session.
What Music Educators Are Saying About Stewart's Percussion Workshops
". . . a superb presentation. Teachers need practical solutions to instructional problems and you have provided workable classroom activities to solve those problems. I now feel much more confident in teaching percussion and look forward to putting your ideas into practise."
- Tom Taylor, Bayview Glen P.S. (York Region)
"I really enjoyed your workshop - tons of great, basic info that I can use, and fun to meet other music teachers and see them struggling away just like me."
- Linda Ford, Lorne Park S.S. (Peel)
Thanks for that enlightening and helpful workshop. Love to do it again."
- Linda Kreiner, Forest Hill C.I. (Toronto)
To tailor a clinic or workshop for your organization or school, call 416 462-9615, or email email@example.com